"...to enclose the present moment; to make it stay; to fill it fuller and fuller, with the past, the present and the future, until it shone, whole, bright, deep with understanding."

Virgina Woolf, The Years


26.3.08

the power of secrets

My buddy Trevor told me once that a long time ago the Crees used to go into the forest with a spear. And what they had to do was they'd sneak up on a bear and tap him on the bum wiht it. Not the sharp side, but the flat side, I guess, and the bear would scoot away in fear. Then you would come out of the forest and never tell anyone about it. But that's what made you a man. If you could do that then you were a man. But the key was never to tell anyone, not even your wife. You keep it inside and you know it yourself, that you did, hey.

So, my question to you all is do you have any secrets that you haven't ever told anyone? Good. Keep them inside you. If not, you better run out and start gathering some so they can keep you warm inside when you're in your golden years. The bad secrets should be talked about, I think, but the sacred ones, the special ones, the good time ones, I think you should keep them inside. Not all, but some. Because they are medicine. They'll get you through the hard times. Plus, no one wants to fool around with you if they think you'll tell all your buddies and coworkers, hey!

[...] Me? I don't think I have too many secrets. Every five years I spill the beans to somebody about something, I'm sure, but I live a good life: I'm not out to hurt or take. The only secrets I have are my PIN numbers and the love songs that I sing into the wind for someone I haven't even met yet, but I know I shall meet one day...


CAME across this one in quite an unexpected place, some UBC magazine (Trek) I had picked up to read about the history of the Chinese in Canada. "The power of secrets", by Richard Van Camp (también me gustó el tono, me recordó a J.D. Salinger y a Paul Auster). I opened the magazine randomly as I was waiting for the 17 Oak (bus- it takes forever), and there it was. It was well worth the waiting though (con todo y lluvia y humedad y frío y todo el numerito vancouveriano), otherwise I might've never even known it was there at all.

No hay comentarios: